ECL Elite & Pro: Abilities Ban Poll

ECL Elite & Pro: Abilities ban  

218 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

This poll is closed to new votes

• Editor-in-Chief

SportsGamers,

The discussion about possibly banning player World of Chel Abilities in ECL competition has been running on social media for quite some time already, and while we already hosted a preliminary poll on Twitter about it, no decisions have been made around the matter. It is a difficult topic to handle due to the fact that any decisions could drastically change the game meta, and we need to maneuver this issue carefully in order to create the most enjoyable experience for our gamers. 

This is why we're reaching out to you with this community poll. Please carefully answer the questions and feel free to elaborate your views in the comments section, as the discussion around the poll will definitely hold value and bring up great points. 

Also, one last question we didn't manage to fit into the poll, would you ban abilities for both the Zone ability (gold) and Superstar ability (silver) slots?

Keep in mind that we will not make decisions solely based on the poll and the discussion is equally, if not even more important than the poll itself.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

3 tuntia sitten, OGjahajaha kirjoitti:

Also, one last question we didn't manage to fit into the poll, would you ban abilities for both the Zone ability (gold) and Superstar ability (silver) slots?

If you decide to ban some X-factor(s), then it should be both Gold and Silver. Nothing between, bc there's no point otherwise.

For me the point of banning some traits would be making the game more enjoyable, as (Aaro fe.) mentioned above. I haven't heard anyone to blame traits or x-factors after the loss or as a reason of being a bad player. Game is always same for both sides, with or without bans. Anyway, my Top3 would be Truculence+Unstoppable Force and Big Tipper. Truc+UF basicly just counters each other, so that's why both.

NA actually were the first ones to ban stuff to try to make already bad EA product to little bit more enjoyable. I would say they were the forerunners with this. And if you desire to bring EU and NA even closer to each other in future, we should cooperate with the x-factor bans if there's any. So the game or rules are the same on both sides of the sea.

P.S. Also would be interesting to see how the game would run with only Elite Edges allowed. Probably 0-0 games incoming, maybe need some Sile Sauna Cup for one weekend to see how it goes.

Edited by FlyerKungen
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Love it! 3

18 minuuttia sitten, FlyerKungen kirjoitti:

For me the point of banning some traits would be making the game more enjoyable, as (Aaro fe.) mentioned above. I haven't heard anyone to blame traits or x-factors after the loss or as a reason of being a bad player. Game is always same for both sides, with or without bans. Anyway, my Top3 would be Truculence+Unstoppable Force and Big Tipper. Truc+UF basicly just counters each other, so that's why both.

Most of the answers to this poll will be from forwards (roughly 50 % of the community as it is 3/6 of the team). Because of this I'm pretty sure most of them won't have close quarters on their list (as this post demonstrates). But if the point is make ''game more enjoyable'' it would be absurd if the close quarters wouldn't be banned as it has been arguably broken since it came in NHL 22. Still it's pretty funny that there wasn't any outcry about X-Factors when goal scoring was super easy in NHL 22 and close quarters being broken as it is. I mean the amount of the goals in NHL 22 was done through goalie using close quarters was... Well let's say it was a lot. And even though I think it's not as bad as last year, it's still badly balanced from the goalie perspective.

Personally I think this poll is flawed as it doesn't take to account what position player plays. Obviously forwards, defenders and goalies have different opinions at least on some level. I'm kinda opposite on this as I wouldn't actually ban any of the X-Factors, not even close quarters (even though it is a bullshit trait). But if we are going this route, I think truculence, unstoppable force, big tipper and close quarters is the way to go. But if this would happen, I would predict that there will be big surge of one tees, especially gold ones.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

19 tuntia sitten, FINSeRe kirjoitti:

Most of the answers to this poll will be from forwards (roughly 50 % of the community as it is 3/6 of the team). Because of this I'm pretty sure most of them won't have close quarters on their list (as this post demonstrates). But if the point is make ''game more enjoyable'' it would be absurd if the close quarters wouldn't be banned as it has been arguably broken since it came in NHL 22. Still it's pretty funny that there wasn't any outcry about X-Factors when goal scoring was super easy in NHL 22 and close quarters being broken as it is. I mean the amount of the goals in NHL 22 was done through goalie using close quarters was... Well let's say it was a lot. And even though I think it's not as bad as last year, it's still badly balanced from the goalie perspective.

Personally I think this poll is flawed as it doesn't take to account what position player plays. Obviously forwards, defenders and goalies have different opinions at least on some level. I'm kinda opposite on this as I wouldn't actually ban any of the X-Factors, not even close quarters (even though it is a bullshit trait). But if we are going this route, I think truculence, unstoppable force, big tipper and close quarters is the way to go. But if this would happen, I would predict that there will be big surge of one tees, especially gold ones.

As you said it by yourself, it's obvious different positions has different feelings of the game. I don't mind CQ, with or without, I can't score anyway. :D That's probably why I don't find it too OP, but I know what you mean. Trust me, I'm trying to think the whole game in general, not just traits that benefit myself. I'm probably gonna try RD from now on, but I still would prefer to have fe. Truc. banned. I totally understand Goalies point of view about CQ. My opinion, ban or not, I'm fine with it. But yeah for everyone it's just the personal feeling and experience and you get different pros and cons by playing different positions. In my text I just took the ones that has made me the biggest "yikes" effects so far.

I guess the biggest question is, if you take BT, CQ and 1T off, can you score anymore? Well Sile made Sauna Cup without abilities happen so we will maybe see there. Eventho Goalies can't use abilities either, it might give some kind of picture.

Edited by FlyerKungen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Administrators
2 hours ago, gzell60 said:

I would like to vote but the form does not accept this input:

Agree

None

None

Results will be slightly biased :) 

Thanks for raising this. Will close the poll temporarily to fix the issue.

• Like 3

On 3/12/2023 at 2:14 AM, Oicteppotulppu said:

Ban them all. 
Plus also make forwards to play with forward`s build and D’s play with D’s build. 
Pretty boring when you see both teams playing with 1 playmaker + 4 pmd’s, and everyone more or less with the same builds/traits. 

I dont understand. How is it boring if 4 guys play pmd? What does that matter? Why is it better that a team plays 1 ply, 2 sniper and 2 pmd?

Is it more fun for you if you play a guy who has a sniper build or what? I dont understand the logic.

like who even cares about that

• Like 6

vor 13 Stunden schrieb Suth98_:

I dont understand. How is it boring if 4 guys play pmd? What does that matter? Why is it better that a team plays 1 ply, 2 sniper and 2 pmd?

Is it more fun for you if you play a guy who has a sniper build or what? I dont understand the logic.

like who even cares about that

I think the idea behind that is to make the game even more versatile when you "force" teams to use different builds. Even though I totally get your point and agree that everyone should play what he likes best.

• Like 7

IMO we have 3 options going forward

Option 1: Don´t ban anything

Option 2: Ban truculence, Unstoppable Force and Big Tipper (the 2 most op and UF for balance)

Option 3: Only Elite Edges

(If you ban Close Quarters, you need to ban goalie abilities too. This leads to having to ban more stuff for skaters, so you need to ban everything for this to work. Elite Edges is the only ability atm that needs to be on to keep the game smooth, like magnetic and EE last year. Only problem that comes from this is that all builds that don´t have golden EE becomes pretty much useless)

• Like 2