NHL 18 Beta - Discussion

vSilenttio

NHL 18 Beta  

165 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

Forward: I personally liked the changes that have been made and the games are looking sligtly more like real hockey games. (more passing, puck moving faster?). Player types are in quite good balance now. 

Defenceman: Felt like mistakes are more costly, right stick won't save you anymore once you get under pressure. Team's positioning plays bigger role than before.

Goalie: Breakaways are a bit more difficult, otherwise quite similar to NHL17. However, in my opinion the development after NHL16 has been mostly negative, goalies are forced to play more and more on standing feet, not moving much, which makes the controlling easier but boring (+ pretty much everybody will be playing in a similar way). From other point of view learning to play as goalie is easy so finding a goalie for 6s probably gets easier as well.

Edited by MonkeyHead_AF
  • Like 4

Slowly getting there, like the beta version more and more. 

I like the idea that teamplay and passing game is more valued now. Even thou  skill stick is a tad too slow. Could be something from the middle of 17 and this beta. 🤔

Not liking how L1 works. It was a good tool(that I refused to use) in 17, but way too overpowered in beta. Started to use it more couple days ago. Hate it, but hate losing more. 

Dont like the chop faceoff. What a way to ruin battle of two centermen. 

And it is a total bs that goalie can knock his own net off. Saw an Elite team use this yesterday when they were couple goals down in thirth. That spoiled one break-away and after that it was done couple times when we got the puck posession. 

These kind of things needs to be worked out by EA. Yeah, shame on using these, but the main  blame goes towards EA. 

Few fixes here and there and we have a great game. Can't wait for full version and start of next ECL.  🤗

• Like 4

EA keep saying that they´d like the game to be more competitive so why should it be possible for the net to come off to begin with, at least in a 6 on 6 matchup.

There are just so many things that would make the competitive scene alot more competitive with just some small adjustments to the game according to me.

I´d like to see some easy "before lunch" adjustments, and this is for the EASHL 6 vs 6 scene, not the rest.
Injuries, what is the point? Get rid of it.

Fighting, same thing, pointless and more or less never happens anyway.

Stamina, fuck this, full steam space machine it feels like its just there for no reason what so ever if anything make it possible to at least see how much gas you´ve got left..

ALL players should be able to perform all moves at all times, its just so annoying when you lose control of the puck for no fucking reason with like a defensive defenseman.

Net off moorings, pointless and is just used for obvious reasons.

Games are to long, sort this out by using real minutes instead of the "real time fast clock" and adjust the penalties accordingly, Id say 3 x 3min with like 30 sec penalties. That way, all games that doesnt go to OT would be pretty much on the spot 10 min and not like now, anywhere from like 20 min til the next game comes out. If draw make it a 3 min overtime, if draw after that a 5 round shootout. The overtime and shootout should be a setting that the home team can pick before going into the game (for playoffs etc).

To challenge a club why do you have to go to totally different dressing room where nobody ever is? Wouldnt it be nice to just be able to do that from the original dressing room so that you can just challenge a team and not get matched up with the same random team over and over again, this would also be a great tool to see if the fucking search engine works to begin with and see who is playing. 

Reconnect to games if you are disconnected, duh, this is possible in "indie/arcade/low budget" games such as rocket league, but not in a AAA-franchise such as NHL. If the goalie gets disconnected he has got like 30 sec to reconnect, if he fails to do so another player has to take the goal, I want no bots, EVER, same thing goes for penalties etc, if there are alot of penalties just add the time to the skaters who are already in the box or replace them with the new ones but no bots, ever, if people rage quit you better finish your game with 3 or 4 players.

It should be possible to change your lineup once you see who you are up against, pretty much like a dropin before this position thing got into the game like 2 years ago. I like the new drop in system for sure when most people just want to play F/C but its pointless for a serious team.

Highligts/replay: These are way to short, the highligts for the goals are like 2-3 sec long, make them like 10 sec or something instead. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I liked the way beta was.
Smooth and i hope EA dont tune the game speed up. Players have to learn create speed by plays. That is skills. That is competetive.

I like the hard thing about the new deekes and getting that into a 6vs6 game and make it good. Like that new combos ;)

Cant speak about the goalies, if its needs improvements.

• Like 4

I like it! This is the first NHL in a while that actually feels "real". But they still  need to fix some parts of the game.

Goalie

As a goalie I love it but one thing that EA needs to fix is when the goalie makes animation saves when your out of position. You should be rewarded if your read the play well, and if you don't read it well you should be punished not saved by a lucky animation. 

Another thing as a goalie I hated in NHL 17 was that the blocker side was not good at all. It always felt like you couldn't trust that side but in the beta it felt like it was better.

The gameplay

I like the speed of the game, as @miisolegend said "Players have to learn create speed by plays." That's how it works in real life and that's how I think it should be in NHL 18. 

The poke check is a little OP in my opinion. You can't protect the puck in the same way as before. The defensive skill stick sometimes eat you alive in this game as a forward. Even though I want to protect the puck better I think that in NHL 17 you could protect the puck way too good. So hopefully it will be nerfed a little bit when they release the full version of the game. 

It's good that deflections isn't so OP anymore. In NHL 17 it was ridiculous sometimes to let in a weak ass goal from a wrist shot that was deflected... I like that deflections is better if you shoot a slap shot. 

That's my opinions, see you in NHL 18! 

• Like 6