Oldschool player coming back to EASHL in the fall

Depch

Hello.

I'm an oldschool player to NHL series but new to the revamped site of nhlgamer and it's EASHL approach.

Played a lot of EA NHL since NHL Hockey on PC and we ran some online leagues in the Finnish scene from NHL98 untill NHL07 on PC. A lot of the leagues were actually run at nhlgamer.com at that time (can find some of them from wayback machine from example, hehe). EA stopped doing NHL games for PC around that time or soon after and part of that hockey community made a jump to EASHL hockey since NHL08 on NG consoles (xbox360) and we played for those for a couple of seasons. After NHL11 our team died down and people moved to play other games as did I. My experience from NHL games from recent years is only from NHL94 which we play on NA leagues, but player base is decreasing there and I'm thirsting for competition in hockey games.

EASHL has been the most fun I have ever had playing hockey games. I can recognize some familiar team names from the turn of the decade still in HC Sika & Northern Stars at least for example. Our team name was HC Einari, few might still recall that.

I have not decided on which console to come back to. I remember liking the gamepad for Xbox a lot more than PS, but player base seems to be a lot bigger in PS and that will most likely sway the decision to that side unless there are some familiar oldschoolers out there in Xbox that need help with their team and can ice a full team and even that depends on how well the possible versus mode works between the consoles?

I'm most familiar with the position of LW, but play a responsible C as well and enjoy it a lot. I'm a teamplayer above all and used to play EASHL at a very high level. I will probably be rusty for starters, but I am confident that I am able to shake that off fairly soon. Quick with decisions, patience and high game sense, we'll just have to see how my motorical functions are with the gamepads after some years of absence. :D I also know that like in real sports team chemistry will play a big part and no matter what if players don't think a like or play a different game it will not work, have a lot to catch up and expect the level of EASHL to have risen a lot.

Just looking to bond with some people and get to know the community during the summer times and we'll be in action by fall. :)

Edited by Depch
  • Like 2

• Administrators

Welcome back @Depch! It's been a few years since we played on the same team for a while. As you've noticed, most of the teams on our website are on the PS4, but we have recently also got some Xbox One teams and will be running a league for Xbox One starting in May. I also like the Xbox controller more, but so far my EASHL play has been 99% on the PS4.

If you decide on the PS4, you can join the upcoming Summer Cup, which is of a draft format. We are of course also open to doing a Summer Cup for the Xbox One, if there are enough interested players.

• Like 1

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Egyptologen said:

You can use Xbox controller on ps4 or get a ps4 controller with xbox elite thumbsticks ;)

What would be your recommended and cost effective way of using an Xbox Controller with a PS4? :)

41 minutes ago, Kenu said:

What would be your recommended and cost effective way of using an Xbox Controller with a PS4? :)

Hmm its not very cheap but its reliable and works. Doesnt seem to cause any input lag either. Norpe in Syn has been playing with it + Xbox Elite Controller. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00T76ZGDY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493249955&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=cronus+max+plus&dpPl=1&dpID=51llmpFgEbL&ref=plSrch

• Like 1

• Members
4 hours ago, esdor said:

I am not a big fan of Xbox controllers but I think the fact that I never played on Xbox is the main reason for that. I know Alpha got one of those new controllers that are very similar to Xbox controllers. https://nacongaming.com/revolution-pro-controller/ that is the one Alpha is using.

Big fan of it so far! Plus, it is very customizable (if one is into that sort of thing) :) 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, esdor said:

I am not a big fan of Xbox controllers but I think the fact that I never played on Xbox is the main reason for that. I know Alpha got one of those new controllers that are very similar to Xbox controllers. https://nacongaming.com/revolution-pro-controller/ that is the one Alpha is using.

That looks perfect. The left stick closer up to there where my thumb rests more naturally. This will surely work out well. Thank you very much for the suggestion and confirmation from AF liking it as well. I'm sure the controller preferation will not be an issue deciding this.

Im using a Scuf at the moment. But waiting for my Battle Beaver which should arrive next week. 

https://battlebeavercustoms.com/

Ive customized it with soft touch shell, xbox elite thumbsticks and smart triggers (only need to press L1 L2, R1 R2 like 1 mm to get 100 % response. I kept the tension of the thumbsticks to dual-shock level but its possible to go Xbox tension as well if you want. And removed the rumbles to make it lighter. Go check them out, you can build your controller after your own needs...Xbox or PS4...or a merge between the two. The only downside is that they are extremely popular within the e-sport communities so it will take you 3 months from ordering till you receive the controller.

Edited by Egyptologen
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The_Alpha_Furyan said:

Big fan of it so far! Plus, it is very customizable (if one is into that sort of thing) :) 

Can echo this. I've been using one for a couple of weeks and it's been great. In terms of features and functionality it beats the hell out of the Scuf's and Scuf-like offerings.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Egyptologen said:

Hmm its not very cheap but its reliable and works. Doesnt seem to cause any input lag either. Norpe in Syn has been playing with it + Xbox Elite Controller. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00T76ZGDY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493249955&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=cronus+max+plus&dpPl=1&dpID=51llmpFgEbL&ref=plSrch

Been using this myself and works for me perfectly, the position of analog sticks are close to perfect and the weight and size are more suitable for my hands than the tiny ps4 controller 

Edited by Lauri

2 hours ago, OxtreeLAT said:

Can echo this. I've been using one for a couple of weeks and it's been great. In terms of features and functionality it beats the hell out of the Scuf's and Scuf-like offerings.

Hmm interesting. Have not tried Nacon but how does it differ from scuf in terms of features and functionality? 

• Members
13 minutes ago, ShaneC27 said:

HC Einari, Siberian Panthers, Jatkoaika HC, Finnish Washers and even the curveshotting, shortside slapping bastards from HC Kebab... The golden era of EASHL!!

2017-04-27-15-41-02--2036543588.jpg

I remember all those teams! Jesus, that's before I even started doing 6s, I think.... #memories

2 hours ago, Egyptologen said:

Hmm interesting. Have not tried Nacon but how does it differ from scuf in terms of features and functionality? 

Well there's gimmicky stuff like the ability to adjust the weight of the controller (I found it rather pointless).

What really makes it shine is the included software - you're able to change the sensitivity of the triggers, analogs (even use sensitivity curves), remap all the buttons and create macros. The list goes on and on.

Also you can switch on the fly between 4 fully customized profiles, no need to change the whole setup every time you decide to play something different. Plus, they actively update the firmware and continue adding new options.

Personally the biggest thing for me is the Xbox style offset analog sticks - I've always preferred it over the PS symmetrical approach. It just feels more natural to me.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, OxtreeLAT said:

Well there's gimmicky stuff like the ability to adjust the weight of the controller (I found it rather pointless).

What really makes it shine is the included software - you're able to change the sensitivity of the triggers, analogs (even use sensitivity curves), remap all the buttons and create macros. The list goes on and on.

Also you can switch on the fly between 4 fully customized profiles, no need to change the whole setup every time you decide to play something different. Plus, they actively update the firmware and continue adding new options.

Personally the biggest thing for me is the Xbox style offset analog sticks - I've always preferred it over the PS symmetrical approach. It just feels more natural to me.

Thats nice but cant you just do that with an Xbox Elite controller? Plus you can swap sticks. The biggest turnoff for me and why I wouldnt consider Nacon is because you have a convex right stick (fps-style). Scuf dont have software customization but you can adjust trigger tension, trigger stops and swap sticks. Plus that military grip is awesome. In hindsight I think Scuf is overpriced though and build quality is so so. 

Biggest reason for me to chose BB is the ability to use any sticks I want (Ive chosen Xbox Elite sticks so I can just swap on the fly) plus their smart trigger system with 1mm Click and 100 % response seems at least in theory to be an advantage for passing in poking in NHL.

Anyway I guess its up to preference. If it sugits you it suits you :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Egyptologen said:

Thats nice but cant you just do that with an Xbox Elite controller? Plus you can swap sticks. The biggest turnoff for me and why I wouldnt consider Nacon is because you have a convex right stick (fps-style). Scuf dont have software customization but you can adjust trigger tension, trigger stops and swap sticks. Plus that military grip is awesome. In hindsight I think Scuf is overpriced though and build quality is so so. 

Biggest reason for me to chose BB is the ability to use any sticks I want (Ive chosen Xbox Elite sticks so I can just swap on the fly) plus their smart trigger system with 1mm Click and 100 % response seems at least in theory to be an advantage for passing in poking in NHL.

Anyway I guess its up to preference. If it sugits you it suits you :)

Sadly it's not possible with Elite as there's no first-party support. I guess you could in theory use ChronusMax,  XIM4 or another third-party solution, but I'd rather avoid the added latency from the emulation. Plus, I personally don't like Elite because of the durability issues - it shares the majority of its internals with the stock controller (same with Scuf and their shaky record with durability). Sure, quality shell is nice, but using the same analog modules and other internal components is a letdown.

Yes, to each his own. I actually love convex style sticks. It's the same with some of the other features. Controllers are very much down to personal preference.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, OxtreeLAT said:

I guess you could in theory use ChronusMax,  XIM4 or another third-party solution, but I'd rather avoid the added latency from the emulation.

CronusMax is supposed to be free of latency, or any latency should at least be indiscernible. I had a guy on my team fail to get it working properly, though. His Xbox controller would disconnect every ten minutes. Their website, which was highly confusing at the time, advised using a USB hub in between the CronusMax and the controller (or maybe the other way around, I forget) to eliminate the disconnections, so he added one of those but still couldn't get the setup to work as it should. I'm sure it's entirely possible as I've read reviews saying as much, but if I were to get an Xbox-style controller, I would rather it worked out of the box without any hassle.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, weelmax said:

It is just natural, because PS4's are sold in Europe 190% more that Xbox One's.

Ok so that adds to the situation that majority of the old players switched the platform from Xbox to PS when the consoles were upgraded from PS3->PS4 and Xbox360->Xbox One. This I heard out from Kenu. There seems to be no oldschool following for xbox anymore and those sales statistics won't surely help, things used to be quite even.

Add to that the topic that you can use a xbox style gamepad on PS effectively there really is no question what system you should go for if you plan to play EASHL. Xbox is out of the question for me.

• Like 1