Poll: Should we wait for EA to fix EASHL lag before starting the ECL?

Kenu

ECL POLL  

134 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

• Administrators

As you are probably aware - if you've been playing EASHL this year - there are some major issues in the EASHL this year, causing at least the home team captain to suffer from an enormous amount of lag. This may also apply to other players. Due to this, the game is often unplayable for at least part of the players on the ice.

We here at NHL Gamer think that it would be a good idea to postpone the start of the ECL with a couple weeks, to see if there is any progress with this issue. This will also give us an extra bit of time to test the website some more and give you, the community, time to get familiar with the site and build your roster.

Please note that the outcome of the poll is not the final word on this issue, but rather we are looking for some data on how the opinions about this issue are split.

Below is EA's statement on their forums:

UPDATE [11/06] 

* Dev and QA teams investigated multiple leads but nothing conclusive pointing to the root cause of this issue thus far. 

* Our senior engineers have also looked at the IP blocking workaround that was circulating the community and it doesn't look like it would specifically fix the captain lag issue. Also, for some users it could block their ability to play altogether. 

* While we have reached out directly to several members of the community, we are unable to identify a pattern of behaviour to help establish the conditions to reproduce the issue. 

* We need more info but we will continue to dedicate time and resources to this. The team is in the process of preparing a detailed survey questionnaire (will post link here) to get more focused input and feedback. 

Thanks. 

Hey folks, 

It's been a few weeks since we started investigating this issue. 

First off, thanks to many members of the community for chiming in and providing valuable info. 

Moving forward, we will provide any updates on this specific input lag issue in this post. 

What issue are we trying to track down? 

EASHL Home captain is affected by unplayable input lag. It has been reported that this happens in both Drop-In and Club Seasons games. 

What has been reported? 

User who is home captain may experience input lag. This doesn’t happen in all games but once it happens the input lag persists throughout the game for that one user. Other users in the same session are unaffected. 

Is it an Internet Service Provider (ISP) issue? 

We have evaluated the info posted by a number of users (via PM) and there isn’t a consistent trend that correlates this issue with specific ISPs. 

As well, users have reported that the input lag doesn’t persist game over game. 

What have we found so far? 

In the past month, we have focused our efforts on a) trying to reproduce the input lag issue within the studio and b) working with members of the community to audit server logs in games where users have experienced the issue. 

We’ve analyzed the logs but haven’t found any conclusive evidence pointing to a server issue. While we are not discounting that this could be a server issue, we are focusing our investigation efforts on the game client side (i.e. non-server) at this time. 

Is there an ETA for a fix? When can the next update be expected? 

Unfortunately this issue has been tricky to track down and reproduce. At this time, the dev team is unable to provide an ETA. 

That being said, any updates will be posted to this thread as soon as it happens. 

Source: http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/posts/list/10370055.page

Please feel free to discuss things more in this thread.

On behalf of the NHL Gamer staff,

Kenneth

Given EA's history, their next fix will probably go live in January and do nothing. Second problem, if we wait too long some teams may lose interest or even split up.

That's why I vote 'No'.

Instead, we could introduce some protective rules for the home team in each game. Examples:

- They can leave the game in the beginning as often as they like

- Maybe extend the 'cooldown' time from 1 minute to 1:30 to get some extra time to check the connection

- Offer the ability to invite within Drop In because there we can switch through different lobby captains until the connection is fine

I think that would make more sense than waiting for an illusional EA fix.

• Like 5

do we know that the lags also in the new invite system ?... i only know that the lags are in the EASHL... but i doent test it @ the new club invite ...

I vote for yes :

- Think all teams can wait 2-4 weeks ..

- Test your homepage and make sure thats all fine =)

- You have time to give all teams the Rules  Feedback and more .. ( transfer End for my Roster  , beginn date  , Rules ) 

- I know some teams ....and i know we have than a  lot of trouble with the "lag problem " .  They away team can not say yeah the home captian has the lags or not .. Exemple .. We play a game ...  for the home Captatin is all fine we shot the first goal in the first 90 sec and than ohhh lag .. sry try again ... 

• Like 1

I don't think it will be resolved on EA's side in 2 weeks but I still voted Yes because I think people should know about the tournament structure and rules long enough before the start of ECL. Not sure how long is "long enough" but there are not many days left before November 16th so...

Also, if the schedule is available a week or so before tournament start it allows teams to plan ahead for the first games and that's a good thing too. 

So yeah captain lag or not I don't think postponing for like a week is a bad thing.

• Like 1

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Billy44205 said:

I don't think it will be resolved on EA's side in 2 weeks but I still voted Yes because I think people should know about the tournament structure and rules long enough before the start of ECL. Not sure how long is "long enough" but there are not many days left before November 16th so...

Also, if the schedule is available a week or so before tournament start it allows teams to plan ahead for the first games and that's a good thing too. 

So yeah captain lag or not I don't think postponing for like a week is a bad thing.

Well said Billy. This is why I think it's a win-win situation to postpone. Of course half of it is our own fault. :$

Voted no at this point. At the moment when there is no ETA and now that they (EA) are about to put a poll on their forums to get more information, this problem may take a long time to be fixed. 

The input issue is affected most of the people at some level, and starting now may lead to restarting league games (which I say is understandable) to get atleast playable connection to home team. But I feel confident that every GM on every team is mentally already prepared for this (I say that until game is fixed, that there is like 10-15s timeframe after first faceoff for teams to check severity of possible input lag)

I know that there is a lot of holes in this but we are all in the same boat with this so maybe some solidarity is now needed on NHLGamer.com community :)

Edited by MovaaN
  • Like 1

At this point it doesn't seem like EA is close to finding a solution to the problem so I don't think postponing ECL for this very reason is a good idea. Though, I'm in no rush to start the tournament so waiting an extra week or two with the trade off of getting a better experience on this site is okay to me. I'm honestly indifferent to whichever decision we agree on.

If the lag issue persists I would like to take this approach (Basically the same as gzell60 suggested). Games are played in drop in because you can choose your captain there. The first two minutes are a free for all where you try your connection. If neither of the teams quit you dump the puck over the glass in the neutral zone so the faceoff will take place at central ice again. This way we will avoid all the unnecessary drama/bullshit that may arise if one team scores in the first minute because the other team was lagging too much. 

• Like 6

and by the way not every team has the time to try with drop in shit for hours... just sayin just sayin 

assuming is not trying, maybe miracles happen in invite mode who knows but the mighty nhl-god rammer haha what a fucker, 2 years of time and still not workin. i would've fired the dude after 15 the latest

u r right with at the moment... 

then we probably have to live with it, which really does suck in my opinion. But why not wait and have a (tiny) chance they fix it? it would decrease the time you'll need for a game a lot. it would also bring more fun when u dont have to try 100 times before u can play a game...

There is only a maximum of 6 times to try hosts for a tournament game via drop in, because you only have 6 potential hosts who are the 6 players of the home team. So here's a pro tip: you start fake games with your ECL opponent where you only play like 2 minutes, trying out the connection. When you agree on the best captain, you start the real tournament game with that person has captain. It takes a bit of time to do but if it can mitigate unplayable lag you'll all do it. 

That would work... if the captain lag thing is not random. Are some hosts systematically better than others? Anyone know?

• Like 1

• Members

Voted NO because I don't trust EA to fix this at all.

It's better to just go with a start date in like 10-14 days so teams and the website will have a clear headsup of what is coming and then just use band-aid fixes to get the games going without lag. If we wait like 2 weeks and EA does nothing and then after that it's another 2 weeks to get everyone ready for the tournament I think we will have teams dropping off at an alarming rate...

I dont know really, for me i rather have ECL to play, and have this first tournament as a "testround" , for the admins and for the teams. And as Alpa said, no one knows if they have the time or tools for a fix for it. And the lag is better anyhow. And if one team suffers from captain lag and the other dont, let the team with no lag play two games at home and count as one away?.

Edited by Dexrion
  • Like 2