If it is still up for discussion with divisons i think it would be awesome to instead have a league system that is almost identical too the real NHL, same amount off teams, team names,, divisons and conferences as identical. If not 82 games(if that would be too much) then 41. Team names is Anaheim, Arizona and so on.

Teams that finnish as the last 4 for example in regular season will be degraded too AHL(?) and top 4 from AHL will take their place next season.

As Billy would say, You have none honour as mutes, so What say you?

• Like 2

Have to say that I don't feel like playing in a team named by a NHL team, as there is such a many teams that has kept their original name for years by now. It would also be a hard to get done in EASHL as well (there might be someone else as well who feels like naming their club as Washington Capitals). About the system for playing higher and lower divisions I do like. As every new team would have to start from the lower one but still able to make it to higher if they play well. Best 30 teams from ECL2 would make it to higher and rest goes to lower with the new ones that shows up for the NHL17. That way there maybe wouldn't be scores like 7-0 or 10-1 in the regular season either.

@pnordetun I think what you describes is more like European football leagues rather than NHL, since you talk about franchises going up and down the divisions.

Forget team names, I do think the core idea (if I understood correctly) of fixed teams, for instance exactly 15 per division in exactly 3 divisions , has its perks, mainly in terms of organizing all that shit and probably a bit for freelance players. The big downside is most certainly a deal breaker for most of the community though imo, as you basically can't assemble a bunch of guys and say "here is my new club and we're joining ECL". FWIW I'd be in favor of something sort of like what you described.

I can't be bothered explaining in depth what I just wrote, good luck understanding me.

EDIT: What the fuck am I talking about?!? It makes little sense. I'm too sleep deprived.

Edited by Billy44205

2 hours ago, Billy44205 said:

Forget team names, I do think the core idea (if I understood correctly) of fixed teams, for instance exactly 15 per division in exactly 3 divisions , has its perks, mainly in terms of organizing all that shit and probably a bit for freelance players. The big downside is most certainly a deal breaker for most of the community though imo, as you basically can't assemble a bunch of guys and say "here is my new club and we're joining ECL".

Leagues or divisions will never turn out this way, as there always needs to be an entry point for new teams. In this example we would end up with

Div1: 15 teams
Div2: 15 teams
Div3/'OpenDiv': x teams (in either one group if we have a relatively small amount, or multiple groups if there is a large amount of teams - resulting in some sort of own playoff system to advance to Div2)

A league system like @pnordetun mentioned is definitely an option to discuss about. I only see it take place in the first 2 divisions though, as there is no way to pull it off with potentially 30+ teams in Division 3 - it would take months. The question then is, if we still want to have playoffs after the league system or not. What do you guys think?

i think one issue with this system is that many players nowadays tend to make new teams and arent as consistant as preferable, but with this system on the other hand teams would stick together more.

Say Blackhawks, Kings, Ducks and a Blues finnishes last and get degraded, the top 4 teams from the league under just takes over the team names(Blackhawks, Kings, Ducks and Blues) and thereby will be in the same divisons as the teams they replace.

And ofcourse a playoff is in order, this aint no european football league

I prefer to have just 2 divisions, not making it too complicated at first. Maybe after getting it rolling, able to add another division as well. Division1 30teams (playoffs for 16 best) and division 2 the rest of the teams. 4 best from the lower gets to higher in the end of the league and 27-30 teams to lower from division1. Playoffs only for higher division? Or is there a point to be a champ of a lower division as they are just playing to make their way to higher one?

@pnordetun

I don't understand why this system would have teams stick together more. Can you elaborate on that?

@gzell60

I miswrote. I was thinking about something vaguely similar to what I have seen on LG. Reading again what I wrote I'm not sure what I meant.

Also, I don't want to talk about divisions here. Can you guys post your division-related ideas in the dedicated topic I had created please? It could use a thread bump, too.

Is that some kind a joke ? Real nhl team names ? Seriously ? I like division idea as well then there would be tight games more often than now, but still i think these division might split this community to half, then there is pro clubs and bad ones. I hope u dont do that mistake, we all are here to play together this tournament. And would you really like go to lower division ?

Idk what u guys think but i want to play agaisnt best ones and beat them. So i hope you guys keep this simple, like 40 teams and then games on. Im sure that if we drop team number there will be tighter games, this system will offer more skill hockey and more hard games

• Like 1

I dont know how to do this better than this, so here it goes. Here's regular players thoughts:

• Max. two different levels of playing. Elite division and then rest - thats it
  • As long as we (teams and players) dont get paid from playing this game overall + ECL, this wont work. People with not that much time to play, cant be as good as those ones are who play alot and I mean, alot! PS4 has now like ~50 teams and yeah, it could be split into divisions but hell no for three different levels. It would definitely break the community somehow, as there would be "those elite guys" and then basic boys and rest who dont have enough time/skill/interest-combo in their hands. I'd rather have healthy and competitive community than just competitive community.
  • Personally I dont see people sticking into their teams just because of this. Yeah, there's some teams who have been there for years with same name and same core (more on Xbox, less on PS?) but its like 15-25% of teams. Working division system would need serious jump from 20% to 80%, for example. And then these "new" teams start from the championship just like the real new teams, if they want to split up for some reason. Offtopic: I dont get this team hopping thing. I've played now like 5-6 years and so far I've been in two teams (when you dont count the "lock-out season during NHL15).
  • ELITE: 30 teams -> 16 playoff-teams. I dont know how it could work, just an idea that jumped in my head right now; bottom-8 teams fights playout games and four teams that lose their playout round (best of 5 or 7), goes to Championship level and then four best teams rise from Championship. I like the playout idea, because that would bring the same danger from dropping out to 22th/30 team that what it brings to 28th/30 team for example. 22th battles 30th team in a playout series and by winning that series, you secure your team in Elite. Thoughts or just too difficult/strange to make it happen?

Sorry if it's hard to understand my points.

Edited by vSilenttio
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, vSilenttio said:

I dont know how to do this better than this, so here it goes. Here's regular players thoughts:

• Max. two different levels of playing. Elite division and then rest - thats it
  • As long as we (teams and players) dont get paid from playing this game overall + ECL, this wont work. People with not that much time to play, cant be as good as those ones are who play alot and I mean, alot! PS4 has now like ~50 teams and yeah, it could be split into divisions but hell no for three different levels. It would definitely break the community somehow, as there would be "those elite guys" and then basic boys and rest who dont have enough time/skill/interest-combo in their hands. I'd rather have healthy and competitive community than just competitive community.
  • Personally I dont see people sticking into their teams just because of this. Yeah, there's some teams who have been there for years with same name and same core (more on Xbox, less on PS?) but its like 15-25% of teams. Working division system would need serious jump from 20% to 80%, for example. And then these "new" teams start from the championship just like the real new teams, if they want to split up for some reason. Offtopic: I dont get this team hopping thing. I've played now like 5-6 years and so far I've been in two teams (when you dont count the "lock-out season during NHL15).
  • ELITE: 30 teams -> 16 playoff-teams. I dont know how it could work, just an idea that jumped in my head right now; bottom-8 teams fights playout games and four teams that lose their playout round (best of 5 or 7), goes to Championship level and then four best teams rise from Championship. I like the playout idea, because that would bring the same danger from dropping out to 22th/30 team that what it brings to 28th/30 team for example. 22th battles 30th team in a playout series and by winning that series, you secure your team in Elite. Thoughts or just too difficult/strange to make it happen?

Sorry if it's hard to understand my points.

Yes, this would be best one so far,  No one really enjoy if regular season game end 10-0, even winner wont enjoy. Good idea! Hope admins will see this and think this idea. 

So basically you have division 1, where the top 16 fight for the cup and the bottom 8 fight to avoid relegation. The bottom 8 play against each other to decide who's going down. In the 2nd division, the top 8 teams fight for promotion.

What if we connect these "relegation playoffs" with each other, so #23 from division 1 plays against #8 from division 2 (and so on... #30 from division 1 against #1 from division 2)? I imagine this to be quite exciting too.

1 hour ago, Tuukka.R said:

Yes, this would be best one so far,  No one really enjoy if regular season game end 10-0, even winner wont enjoy. Good idea! Hope admins will see this and think this idea. 

We are watching :P

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gzell60 said:

Teams would split up less than before because they need to start in the lowest division again, if they do.

Only if you make it so, but you don't have to. Have you not read my previous wall of text about division systems?

Anyway, a system that forces new teams into bottom division is gonna have people complaining before it has people sticking together despite not wanting to play together anymore. I think it's stupid to put team longevity ahead of player enjoyment.

• Like 1

Also, 30 teams in top division is like, the majority of teams. It's not a good idea. And I'm pretty sure the 30th team would get smashed by the top teams so it's not preventing what you guys want to prevent.

On a more general note I dislike the emphasis on good gaming experience for top teams. I think it's not only unfair for the bad teams, but it's also counter-productive in growing the community. If newcomers can only experience the worst part of ECL then chances are they will GTFO.

And OH MY GOD I designed systems that make any number of divisions for any team, sticking together or mixing or new or anything that can happen. Stop saying divisions force teams into sticking together and that's why it will fail. That is not true. *

Sorry for going off-topic, Patovic. I mean it was off-topic before I intervened but...Whatever.