Player Ability Bans - ECL '24 Season Discussion

• Administrators

Hey everyone,

As we gear up for the upcoming NHL 24 season, it's time to revisit the topic of player ability bans that we implemented for NHL 23. In the previous season, we took action based on community feedback and decided to ban several player abilities that were considered overpowered.

However, as we transition into NHL 24, we find ourselves in a different scenario. The game dynamics and balance have evolved, and we don't yet have a clear understanding of how these player abilities will impact gameplay. Given this uncertainty, our initial thought is to refrain from imposing any ability bans for the first season of NHL 24.

We believe it's crucial to gauge the new game's balance and understand how these abilities function in the current context before making any decisions. Therefore, the idea is that the upcoming season will serve as a testing ground. We'll closely monitor gameplay, gather feedback from all of you, and assess whether any Abilities are causing issues or significantly skewing the competitive landscape.

This forum thread is the perfect place to share your thoughts, observations, and experiences from the ECL '23: Winter (and eHSM, SCL, GCL etc.) season, during which we played without these banned traits. Did you notice any significant changes in gameplay? Did the absence of these abilities make the game more balanced and enjoyable for you? We value your input and encourage you to contribute to this discussion.

Ultimately, we want to make informed decisions that enhance the competitive experience while preserving the integrity of the game. So, let's have an open and constructive dialogue about our approach for the first season of NHL 24. Your feedback will play a vital role in shaping our league's future.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

PS: If you want a true deep-dive, check out this amazing thread by @rapitzin:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Since we don't know how they've tuned the abilities or if they've tuned them at all it's very hard to decide. However, there was a reason why certain abilities were banned and it was done in a rather successful manner one might say: players could still use abilities, just the most OP/fun-killing abilities were banned. My thoughts on the banned abilites and what's to come:

I don't see a scenario where Truculence wouldn't be a pain in the arschloch come NHL24. Based on beta, hitting is already OP once you learn the slapshot type of hit.

l also don't see enabling Big Tipper gaining popularity among the community. Apart from positioning, deflections aren't done manually.

Close Quarters was annoying for goalies from the very beginning of NHL22, but the goalie skill gap has increased (at least on paper) and good goalies can actually outplay CQ with the new guessing system? Time will tell, but silver CQ will most likely open later in the skill tree and will we have enough time to make a conclusion before ECL starts?

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

LeagueGaming posted the following on the 17th of October.

Source: ESports - Banned Traits/Perks/Player Loadouts (NHL 24) | Leaguegaming - Your Virtual Career

ESHL Players,

After discussions with the committee members, Staff/Admins, and reviewing issues from NHL 23, we have discussed and will be banning/removing the following traits/perks along with player loadouts going forward for the remainder of the NHL 24 season in all ESHL events/leagues.

This means that both the Gold and Silver traits/perks will be banned from play for the following:
  • Truculence
  • Unstoppable Force
  • No Contest
  • Big Tipper
This means that all current and future player loadouts will be banned from play for the following:
  • Bones - PMD
  • Hammer - GRN
  • Moonlight - PWF
If a team(s) is found to have been caught using any of the banned traits/perks or player loadouts above, the team(s) are to report it directly to the Event Staff/Admins of the issue and submit a stream, clip, or screenshot of a player(s) using the banned traits/perks or player loadouts.

The punishment will be a game forfeiture/overturn if the evidence is proven guilty.

If anyone has any questions or issues, please send a site PM to @Tris10, @LG McDonald, and @ShortyxLOSE.

CURRENT ON-GOING ESHL EVENTS
  • IGT 24 Open [Xbox Series X|S + PlayStation 5]
Edited by r4mme
  • Like 1

Imo there is no need to ban any gold or silver traits from upcoming tournaments. Even golden truculence is clearly not that good than last year and it doesnt give you that much edge. Same thing about big tipper, this year you just cant stand in front of the net all the time because finally players are able to bump opponents like in irl hockey, i love that as a D (still that bumping needs little fix/nerfing because sometimes game looks like wrestling in front of the net :D), you need to go there with well timed movement. I think this year every traits are much more balanced than ever. Only things which should be banned are those "special builds" like Moonlight, Bones, etc. 

• Like 8

Am 29.10.2023 um 20:18 schrieb Hawkes_:

I'm not sure about bans on skills. Maybe make a rule that team player builds have to consist of 3 forwards and 2 defenders, placement is free. Would be more realistic. Tired of seeing full teams of puck moving D-man just to get gold elite edges. 

This! I love that Idea. For example that each Buildtyp (PMD, Playmaker etc.) can only be used once per Team. Would make the Gameplay very versatile.

• Like 12

13 часов назад, Keuschemisch сказал:

This! I love that Idea. For example that each Buildtyp (PMD, Playmaker etc.) can only be used once per Team. Would make the Gameplay very versatile.

Actually it is so on surface like looong ago. No idea why EA cant do that already. Like close the classes for D and for F... the game will become much more versatile. Saying it for years already. That is bullshit that everybody have to play PMD except maybe a Playmaker on C. There was some hope they changed but as we can see meta is still the same... unfortunately. 

Edited by Baranizer
  • Like 9

vor 3 Stunden schrieb Baranizer:

Actually it is so on surface like looong ago. No idea why EA cant do that already. Like close the classes for D and for F... the game will become much more versatile. Saying it for years already. That is bullshit that everybody have to play PMD except maybe a Playmaker on C. There was some hope they changed but as we can see meta is still the same... unfortunately. 

That's true. But to be fair I think that this would not even change that much gameplaywise. Everyone who played as PMD on the wing would just use the Playmaker instead and the Meta would not change that much I guess.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2023 at 9:36 PM, Keuschemisch said:

I like this idea 🤩, it's so boring to see 99% ot the time forwards using PMD builds.

• Like 5

On 10.11.2023 at 12.46, Fin_S1su kirjoitti:

I think only the Pro and Elite series would be subject to banable badges

maybe also lite, but core like neo, would be left out of this

So if you start with a team in core you create your player build, get used to it and advance to next division you need to adapt to another player build? Why?

Keep the rules same for all competitive leagues or it just doesnt make sense. For neo do as you please.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Love it! 1

7 tuntia sitten, Jnmxxx kirjoitti:

So if you start with a team in core you create your player build, get used to it and advance to next division you need to adapt to another player build? Why?

Keep the rules same for all competitive leagues or it just doesnt make sense. For neo do as you please.

mean the series you have to qualify for. they can have band rules..