2-Point System vs. 3-Point System: Which Should the ECL use?

• Administrators

Hey Gamers,

I hope you're all gearing up for an exciting season ahead! As we prepare for another year of thrilling action on the eHockey ice, there's a question keeps popping up from time to time: should the ECL stick with the traditional 2-point system, or should we consider switching to the 3-point system that has gained popularity in recent years? Technically it's also possible to define this at a divisional level, but I'm not convinced that wouldn't cause a whole lot of confusion.

This topic has not only sparked heated debates among hockey fans worldwide, but also here on the forums (exhibit 1, exhibit 2), and it would be good for us as a community, to weigh in on the matter. While some examples have been presented and I personally also believe the point system won't make that big of a difference in the outcome of a season, the point distribution system can still make impact on the dynamics of our league, the perceived competitiveness of teams, and the overall fan experience.

If you're completely unaware of the details, here's a recap:

In the 2-point system, a win earns a team two points, a tie (or overtime/shootout loss) grants one point, and a loss results in zero points. It's straightforward and has been the standard for a long time. On the other hand, the 3-point system introduces an extra point for teams that win in regulation, while still awarding one point for ties and losses in overtime or shootouts. Proponents argue that this system promotes more aggressive play and reduces the frequency of games going to shootouts, making the outcomes more decisive.

But which system do you think suits our league best? Are there benefits to one over the other that we might be overlooking? Let's dive into this discussion, share our insights, and ultimately decide which point system we believe will enhance our league's competitiveness and excitement.

I'm eager to hear your thoughts and engage in a constructive conversation about this matter. A poll may take place later on, but let's start with a good ol' discussion.

So, what's your take? The puck is in your zone – let's discuss!

In GCL 10 we used the 3-point-system for the first time and I personally have to say that I definitely prefer this system. At least in 6v6 I feel like that a win in 60 minutes should get rewarded more. Teams try to play a bit more offensive to redeem themselves and earn that additional point in regular time.

EDIT:
And it adds a little bit more Skill Gap between the Teams in the final table between those who manage to win more games in regulation or Overtime.

Edited by Keuschemisch
  • Like 10

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Generally I would prefer 3-point system because there is a higher reward winning during regular time.

But due to a very unbalanced league where there is very good teams and very bad teams in every bracket/division the 3-point system will make it even more unbalanced and hard for the softcore teams to reach playoffs. The league lacks teams who are good enough to make the series tight.

And tbh I think the league will die soon if Sportsgamer keep making changes where softcore players will stop participate.

• Administrators
On 11/2/2023 at 12:01 PM, rize1988 said:

Generally I would prefer 3-point system because there is a higher reward winning during regular time.

But due to a very unbalanced league where there is very good teams and very bad teams in every bracket/division the 3-point system will make it even more unbalanced and hard for the softcore teams to reach playoffs. The league lacks teams who are good enough to make the series tight.

And tbh I think the league will die soon if Sportsgamer keep making changes where softcore players will stop participate.

Can you elaborate on what you mean the issue is - do you mean it's psychologically tougher to be behind by 6 points after two losses versus being down by 4 points? That's the way I used to look at it. When comparing after the season what the outcomes would have been with both systems the difference is really small, but how a team experiences the situation where they need to get 9 points to get back into the playoff race in the 3p system, versus needing 6 points in the 2p system, is something that is debatable.

I also like the 3-point system and it giving value for pushing for a last-minute winning goal rather than cruising into OT, but I've always wondered about the psychological side of the system.