What's next: PS5 or Xbox Series X (Europe)

Kenu

Next generation console poll  

200 members have voted

The results of this poll are hidden permanently..

• Administrators

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to start the discussion about the choice of the next generation console: PlayStation or Xbox. As there are some big differences in the ration of the two systems in Europe vs North America, this thread is meant for EU only.

PS5-vs-Xbox-920x613.jpg
Image borrowed from TrustedReviews.com article

I want to start off by saying that based on console launches and the NHL series in the past, I don't expect NHL 21 to be released on the new consoles. However, I do expect our community to start purchasing next gen consoles quite early on and eventually this will be a key determining factor on what platform future ECL and other leagues and tournaments will be played.

Obviously we all have our preferences either based on controller, what our friend's do, our old game library, the tech specs etc. and that's the kind of things we can discuss in this thread; It's ok to disagree, but be constructive and motivate your response. I have also included a poll in this topic for some tracking, but keep in mind that this is only for fun and will not directly impact anything.

System specs (source)

Xbox Series X PS5
CPU 8x Cores @ 3.8 GHz (3.66 GHz w/ SMT) Custom Zen 2 CPU 8x Zen 2 cores @ 3.5GHz (variable frequency)
GPU 12 TFLOPS, 52 CUs @ 1.825 GHz Custom RDNA 2 GPU 10.28 TFLOPs, 36CUs @ 2.23GHz
Memory 16 GB GDDR6 w/ 320mb bus 16 GB GDDR6/ 256-bit
Memory Bandwidth 10 GB @ 560 GB/s, 6 GB @ 336 GB/s 448GB/s
Internal Storage 1 TB Custom NVME SSD Custom 825 GB SSD
I/O throughput 2.4 GB/s (Raw), 4.8 GB/s (Compressed, with custom hardware decompression block) 5.5 GB/s (Raw), Typical 8-9 GB/s (Compressed)
Expandable Storage 1 TB Expansion Card (matches internal storage exactly) NVMe SSD Slot
External Storage USB 3.2 External HDD Support USB HDD Support
Optical Drive 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive 4K UHD Blu-ray Drive
Performance Target 4K @ 60 FPS, Up to 120 FPS

Below is a provocatively titled video about the subject, saying that at least technically speaking, the Xbox will be quite significantly more powerful. That's not to say that the PS5 would be a bad system or wouldn't have a few trick up its sleeve. Watch the video for a better explanation.

Feel free to share your thoughts and additional information that is relevant for choosing the next system.

Personally, I'm eventually going to purchase both systems, but I'll have to admit I've always preferred the Xbox controller and user interface. The fact that the console is looking to be more powerful too is a plus in my book. In my opinion both systems have good exclusive titles that make it worth buying both consoles, but I have to admit that traditionally Sony has had the edge in this category. We don't currently know the price of the upcoming systems, but with the Xbox being more powerful, I wouldn't be surprised to see it come out with a slightly bigger price label.

49747503557_fa12f113db_h-768x512.jpgXboxSeriesXController_HERO.jpg?w=1200

So, what do you think about the upcoming consoles? What criteria do you use when selecting your next purchase? Vote in the poll, but more imporantly - let's discuss!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• Members

I can't see Sony coming out with a gaming system that's not on par, if not better, than whatever Microsoft has to offer. I think the game will be played just as well in both consoles. I'll go with what people go and hope that's a PlayStation 

• Like 1

• Administrators
25 minutes ago, valta15 said:

PS5 since you can play any game that's on XBOX on PC aswell.

Are you sure? If you can really play every Xbox game on PC as well, why are there always a lot of people complaining that EA doesn't make NHL for PC anymore?

I like Xbox better, but got a PS4 for nhlgamer. I think PS will be the only reasonable choice, because there is practically nobody in this community from EU who doesn't have it.

• Like 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, K__0__S__E said:

I buy the one ECL is played on. 

I have heard stories of xbox beeing more stable than ps. PS has errors and all kind of shit all the time.

Valid point. I feel PSN has way more issues than I'm used to from Xbox Live

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ProfaneKiss said:

Are you sure? If you can really play every Xbox game on PC as well, why are there always a lot of people complaining that EA doesn't make NHL for PC anymore?

I like Xbox better, but got a PS4 for nhlgamer. I think PS will be the only reasonable choice, because there is practically nobody in this community from EU who doesn't have it.

What I meant is that Xbox exclusive games come to PC also but PS5 doesn't. Of course some games are not ported to PC like NHL cause there isn't a market for it..

• Like 3

Voted for Xbox Series X as it's way superior console as of right now, anyhow my final decision will be based on what the final products will look like in terms of hardware and on which console this scene is headed to. If Xbox is going to blow PS5 out of the water the way it seems as of right now, I might get Series X and then buy PS5 in addition if ECL is played of PS5.

Kinda funny how Sony decided to go with way worse hardware and now it seems like they've even got some huge problems in terms of cooling, apparently :D Also, the recent PSN problems, party lag and the overall not so amazing interface on PS4 doesn't really raise my hopes for PS5. But hey, I may be pleasantly surprised if Sony comes out with no-party lag, interface which doesn't completely overlap with the games and they can finally get their game together with the PSN.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I prefer to play on Xbox. Better controller historically, a cooler vibe and far superior online service. Xbox Series X also outdue PS5 in all but the ssd. So I see no reason why not go for Xbox.

Xbox is in a great place. If they don't mess up like last time and releases with a reasonable pricing they might be the winners of this console war (besides Nintendo of course) 

Since most people will buy what their friends buy I do believe a change of plattform for NHL might be a reality! 

Edited by Jesus
  • Like 5

NHL is pretty much the only game I play on consoles. I will determine my decision solely by which console the NHLGamer scene moves to. I'm hoping it'll be the Xbox, but I bet it will be the PS5 since Europe has always favored the PlayStation over the Xbox.

My experience on the PS3 was already considerably worse than on the Xbox 360. I've never owned an Xbox One (seeing as how competitive NHL was always mainly on the PS4 during this generation), but PSN overall has remained far worse compared to Xbox Live back then. Also, I vastly prefer the Xbox One controller over the DS4, although the latter is admittedly a big improvement over the absolutely terrible DS3. I have a couple of Xbox One controllers for PC use just because they suit my hands really well.

I don't really care about which console will be more powerful as that is so inconsequential with regard to NHL. Cross-platform play for NHL would be the dream because then I could just get the next Xbox and not even have to consider the PS5.

• Like 12

3 tuntia sitten, Janikka kirjoitti:

Cross-platform play for NHL would be the dream because then I could just get the next Xbox and not even have to consider the PS5.

^This.

For me the controller plays big part & it's hard to say which controller I would like more (I loved the X360 controller, but I have to say, DS4 is not bad either). If I'm right, in these days you can basicly use any controller you want via adapters, right?

Being honest, I would love to use Xbox Series X as a primary console in next gen. Arguments above are all pure facts, PSN is dogshit & I've hated it since I was forced to move to PS4 from X360. With Xbox Live I've had so much better online experience, can't deny. And if the console is also more powerful than PS5 (not so big thing for me), then it's only a benefit.

Edited by FlyerKungen
  • Like 8
  • Love it! 1

1 tunti sitten, rrr41rrr kirjoitti:

I really hope the EU community will be based on PS5, i can't imagine buying an Xbox...🤮

I am tempted to see if there would be less lag, down time and other BS at xbox.

Psn have done so bad work that i believe xbox cant do worse. 

That is why my vote is for xbox. I will  buy the one ecl is played with.

Edited by K__0__S__E
  • Like 2

4 minuuttia sitten, K__0__S__E kirjoitti:

I am tempted to see if there would be less lag, down time and other BS at xbox.

Psn have done so bad work that i believe xbox cant do worse.

Let's not leave out the hopelessly erratic download speeds and the dreadful PS Store with some of its content sometimes not loading at all. Not only can the Xbox do better, it has always done so. Maybe Sony will fix everything in time for PS5 and bring the PSN up to 2020s standards, but I highly doubt it.

• Like 5

49 minutes ago, Coold said:

PS has always been heavily favoured by europeans and i'm pretty sure that won't change when the new consoles come out, just because of that ECL and other stuff  should be played on the PS5.

If we back up two generations, the Xbox 360 actually sold better than PlayStation 3 in Europe. At least until PS3 Slim was released. The market share was about 50/50 at that time. PlayStation 4 killed Xbox One tho simply because it was the better console. So what your stating isn't necissarily true

Edited by Jesus
  • Like 1

50 minuuttia sitten, Coold kirjoitti:

PS has always been heavily favoured by europeans and i'm pretty sure that won't change when the new consoles come out, just because of that ECL and other stuff  should be played on the PS5.

This is a good point. But the fact is that this is a competitive virtual hockey community. I think the goal is not to get every european to be a member.

Quality of the product is a big factor on this competitive part of gaming on my opinnion. And reliability is big part of that. Tens of minutes breaks in broadcasts because someone drops out is not good. And whole prodcasts being cancelled because guys cant log in is even worse.

Edited by K__0__S__E

7 minutes ago, xLVxRitchey said:

PS5 all those exclusive games 🤩

You say it as it is a positive thing... How is a big company buying the rights to a title a good thing, when that title of course should be multi platformed? Better for the developer and consumer. I guess your not a big fan of crossplay either?

Exclusive rights to a game is not part of the future. Let me tell ta! As a consumer you really should not support a company that work this way. 

On the contrary you should fight it. 😎

• Like 1

• Editor-in-Chief

I've had a PlayStation since the late 90's and couldn't imagine gaming on anything else. Not educated on the potential price difference between these consoles, but the specs of the Xbox Series X makes it an interesting option, that in addition with how horrible the online environment at PS has been as of late, it might not take too much to sway me in the other direction. Bottom line though, if the ECL were to be played on Xbox I'd get one, otherwise probably PS5 since that's simply all I know. 

• Like 7

Forgot to post this here, but this may be something you'd be interested in: 

Let's remember this doesn't mean anything as long as we've got no information on PS5's operating system and such, so this video doesn't tilt anything into Xbox's or PS5's favor. Anyhow, things like switching between games in a matter of seconds (8.10 onwards on the video) is something that's such an Xbox thing to do, and unfortunately the kind of creativity I don't feel like we've seen from Sony in terms of making the system in itself as user friendly as possible. You can also see how the navigation menu pops up on the side which seem to include parties, friends and settings, with the gameplay slightly visible meanwhile in the menus. Again something I loved on Xbox 360, as you could do quick things in the menus during a game, such as changing notification settings or joining a party, because you weren't forced into this blue abyss in which you can't tell whether the match is still on intermission or the puck's already been dropped. Small things can make a huge difference throughout the console's 5-10 year lifespan.

Let's hope Sony will come up with a great console and we'll be able to choose from two great consoles, in which case I wouldn't care which console the community would continue.

Edited by Juizki
  • Like 4